Thursday, February 21, 2013

I-522 Letter To Representative Vincent Buys (R) and His Reply

Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:43 PM
To: Buys, Rep. Vincent
Subject: I support I-522 and GE labeling in Washington!

Dear Representative Vincent Buys,

I just signed a petition saying:

"Dear Governor Inslee, Senator and Representative of the Washington Legislature,
As your constituent, I encourage you to pass legislation that would label genetically engineered foods in Washington.

Already, more than 60 other countires around the world inform their citizens if their food has been genetically engineered in a laboratory with simple labels, and it's time that we share that basic right. If the same companies can label foods containing GMOs (genetically modified organisms) in Russia, China and South Africa, I believe they should label them in Washington as well.

Join thousands of mothers, farmers and advocates in helping Washington to lead the way on label of genetically engineered foods, because we have a right to know what's in the food that we're eating and feeding our families.

Nancy Swanson
-------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Nancy L. Swanson
Abacus Enterprises
http://www.abacus-ent.com
Ban GMOs -- Ask me why!


Subject: RE: I support I-522 and GE labeling in Washington!
Date: Thursday 21 February 2013
From: "Buys, Rep. Vincent" <Vincent.Buys@leg.wa.gov>
To: Nancy Swanson 

Nancy,
I appreciate you writing me about genetically engineered food labeling, which is gaining the attention of many people from my district. I am aware several other countries enforce this type of labeling process, but no other state in the U.S. has required GE labeling. This issue needs to be at the Federal level, as many of our locally grown foods in Washington State are sold throughout the U.S. There would be no consistency if this implementation only applied to Washington.

Another reason this mandate would be so difficult to enforce is that it would cost growers more to sell within the state, leaving them no choice but to sell outside of the state, therefore potentially reducing many options for consumers to buy locally

Studies have shown that with the latest technology and science, genetic engineering has had an overwhelming positive impact which has farmers using fewer inputs to produce higher quality food with a smaller environmental footprint. I believe it is best to study both sides of the argument to reach a better understanding of this popular issue, as I am receiving a large amount of e-mails and messages addressing GE 

Food labeling from both angles.

Respectfully,

Representative Vincent Buys
42nd District Pos. 2
Office: JLOB 470
P.O. Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504
Telephone: 360-786-7854
Email: Vincent.Buys@leg.wa.gov
Visit Representative Buys’ Web site: www.houserepublicans.wa.gov/buys
Sign up for Representative Buys’ e-mail updates [newspaper24][twitter24][youtube24][flickr24][delicious24

No comments:

Post a Comment