Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Initiative to label genetically engineered food sent to Legislature | Northwest Voices | The Seattle Times

Initiative to label genetically engineered food sent to Legislature | Northwest Voices | The Seattle Times

Initiative may bring groups together
 
Hurrah! I was glad to see in “Food-labeling initiative gets enough signers to go forward” [NWSaturday, Feb. 2] that I-522, the initiative that would require the labeling of genetically modified food, will be on November’s ballot.

This is good news for everybody, particularly free-market conservatives. The free market can work only if consumers have complete information about what they’re buying.
It’s also good news for people of faith, many of whom don’t approve of humans playing God, and for environmentalists, who espouse the precautionary principle. Maybe this is the one issue that can bring us all together.

--Maggie Willson, Seattle

If GMOs are safe, disclosure brings no problems

I am a 59-year-old grandfather, father and sibling. I have a number of years learning life’s lessons, especially with respect to what I choose to eat. As careful as I try to be, reading labels and paying attention to ingredients and additives, I have learned that I have almost certainly ingested a substantial amount of genetically modified or engineered foods and ingredients.

I understand that the Food and Drug Administration has accepted the studies that have been financed and/or performed by the purveyors of these substances. I remain unconvinced of the efficacy of the process and the product. I am also concerned that a genetically altered plant or animal will breed with previously unaltered plants or animals, altering organisms that are not intended.

I am excited to see that, thanks to Initiative 522 being slated for the ballot, we have the chance to force disclosure, and perhaps I will eat very little that has been genetically engineered. If GMOs and GEs are truly safe, what is the problem with disclosure?

--David Ludden, Seattle

No comments:

Post a Comment