Saturday, April 6, 2013

Guest opinion: GMO plants alarm farmers

Farming has been in my family since my ancestors made a life on the rolling hills and pine forests west of Spokane some four generations ago. 

When I recently went to my local seed dealer to pick up grass and alfalfa seed for spring planting, I had to ask myself and the dealer, “Were these seeds genetically engineered?”  The answer was “no,” but the question is more important now that more GE crops are released, and both the seeds and crops they produce go unmarked as different from traditional crops.

Lately, I am inspired to hear of local people working to label genetically engineered crops and food through Initiative 522, which will be on the November ballot in Washington, and will help us make better choices about our food.

  Although many things have changed on our farm, the commitment to growing quality food for this region has not.  In my 30-plus years working the land, we have practically ended the loss of topsoil to erosion, eliminated chemical sprays, and greatly reduced dependency on fossil fuels while helping meet an increasing demand for grass-fed beef and heirloom grains like wheat and barley.

An heirloom seed is one that is passed down by generations of farmers and gardeners in ways that allow the seed to adapt to extreme weather, diseases and pests.  Such seeds are thoroughly tested by nature and society and selected for their benefits.

Read More
Guest opinion: GMO plants alarm farmers 

No comments:

Post a Comment