Monday, June 24, 2013

31 Million GMO meals are served to kids in schools each day; 3 moms are fighting for change - Underground Health

By Zen Honeycutt – Moms Across America 

This is the tale of three school districts and the mothers who are asking for healthier school lunches. 

31 million GMO school lunches are served a day to our children in America. 

These meals also contain food dyes, pesticides, synthetic chemicals and high fructose corn syrup which have been linked to diabetes, autism, food allergies, ADHD and auto immune diseases. 

We are three Moms requesting that Choicelunch, (which offers pesticide free, dye free and high fructose free and WILL supply GMO free lunches to our districts if accepted), be considered as a vendor for our schools and offer a second option. 

We have 3 minutes in front of our school board at an open meeting to present. 

Two weeks ago Kathleen Hallal approached her school board in Irvine, she took the approach of not focusing on GMOs and just requesting that the food be synthetic chemical and pesticide free. Then she met with her school Food Services Department, where she did share the full story of health risks and behavioral impact, and left the meeting saying “Zen, it was like a miracle!” The Food Services nutritionist who was also present,has a 14-month-old and she already knew something about organic food. Both she and the director were open to the idea of having a “clean food” option. In fact, they were interested in not just offering a second choice but replacing some of the other foods in the cafeteria as well! 

I was THRILLED and inspired and so hopeful! We are going to do this! It just takes one person to make a difference! 

Zen Honeycutt ( that’s me) presented last week to my board. I was nervous but I clearly quoted stats and chose to mention genetically modified foods once during the three minutes. I am not sure if it is because I mentioned GMOs or not, but my district is taking a different view. Yesterday, I requested a follow up meeting with my Food Services Director but was told “I have just been advised that the Board is not interested in pursuing the Choicelunch option at this time. Therefore there is no need to pursue this further and set up a meeting with the company.”

No reason. No meeting to even present the concept. No interest. I felt like my heart was crushed. 

I implored the Food Service director to meet with me anyway, as her assessment of the program would make a difference. 

Instead of a response from her, I got a response back from the Board of Ed, saying that they are not interested “due to all the reason the food service director previously explained to you.” 

Which was… that the Board of Ed decided not to…which is not a reason…. 

Read More
31 Million GMO meals are served to kids in schools each day; 3 moms are fighting for change - Underground Health:

No comments:

Post a Comment