Friday, June 28, 2013

Heading to Iowa: Truth and Tractors | Inspired Bites

"I am heading to Iowa this week to meet with farmers designing new technologies and products to be used by farmers.  The people that I am meeting with are not the middlemen from a chemical company peddling GMOs (their genetically modified products, engineered to withstand their chemicals), just farmers working directly with farmers who have been feeding our country for decades.

If you are going to understand the rules of the game, you have to stand on the field.

If someone had told me ten years ago that I’d be this excited about it, I’d seriously have looked at them twice.  I grew up in the city, Houston to be exact.  I couldn’t cook, we couldn’t grow a thing, and I didn’t really have any clue as to what went into how our food was produced."

So there we stood on a humid August day – Scott, farmers and tractors- ready to kick off our 50 mile tractor ride across the small towns of Iowa, and I had no idea what to expect. As Scott introduced me to the farmers, they smiled in amusement eager to get out on their tractors (reminding me more of my boys on their bikes than the agricultural giants I’d been a bit fearful of meeting).
And as I spoke about how 1 in 3 children now has autism, ADHD, allergies or asthma, they nodded in agreement as they’d seen the TV commercials on their local stations that spoke of how pervasive autism had become in military families, now affecting 1 in 88 children and knew what was happening to their grandchildren. They then introduced themselves and we set out on our tractor ride.
It was pretty quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment