Wednesday, August 28, 2013

GMOs: I'm not judging; I'm just saying | Politics Blog | The Bellingham Herald

GMOs: I'm not judging; I'm just saying | Politics Blog | The Bellingham Herald: "The communications director for Yes on I-522 called me Tuesday afternoon after reading our latest post about genetically modified organisms and the initiative that would require food with GMOs to be labeled.

The director, Elizabeth Larter, said her organization's position wasn't well represented on the Politics Blog. Well that's a problem, I thought immediately. So we set up a phone interview for this morning. I am here to report what came out of that conversation.

I had three questions for Larter, and we were able to talk them all out:

1) Why are GMO labels important?

2) Don't labels create an unwarranted stigma against GMO foods, if you accept the claim by scientists that they are safe?

3) What about golden rice, the yellow-tinged grain that has been genetically modified to contain beta carotene, or vitamin A? Won't rules stigmatizing GMOs impede momentum toward food that could improve nutrition for millions of children worldwide?

The Yes on I-522 campaign's pitch is all about informing shoppers."

No comments:

Post a Comment