Friday, August 9, 2013

Letter: Health concerns eased by labeling | The Columbian

Letter: Health concerns eased by labeling | The Columbian:

Labeling of genetically modified organisms is not only a want, it is a need. My son has severe autism. Like the majority of autistic children he has GI tract issues. His food sensitivities include gluten and dairy; he has been on a doctor-recommended "restricted" diet since he was 3. In the last four years I have carefully maintained his diet because of how strongly food intake affects his health. I have to be extremely careful, checking the ingredient list of everything I feed him. It is tedious.
My son cannot eat wheat or most grains, which leaves me with few alternatives -- mostly corn, soy and rice. Corn and soy are the top genetically modified crops, approximately 80 to 90 percent of products made with them contain genetically modified ingredients. Rice is another common GM crop and I am at my wit's end trying to find food that is safe for his sensitive system.
I need to know what is in the food I buy because of my son's health issues. More than 50 other countries require labeling. When considering state Initiative 522, which will require labeling of genetically engineered foods, I ask that you remember there are some, like my son, who really do need to know. Please vote "yes" for I-522 on November's ballot.
Melissa Valo
Vancouver

No comments:

Post a Comment