Saturday, October 5, 2013

That’s a Lot of Money to Keep a Secret - Forthright with Sue Lani Madsen

That’s a Lot of Money to Keep a Secret - Forthright with Sue Lani Madsen:

Every time I get a direct mail piece saying No on 522, it’s time for a rebuttal. I don’t have deep pockets to put money into the campaign, all I can do is write. Today’s glossy brochure said I522 is a “blank check that would cost taxpayers millions,” a ridiculous scare tactic if I ever saw one. Let’s look at which campaign really does have a blank check to spend.
As of today, Washington PDC reports show six different groups supporting Yes on Initiative 522 have raised a total of $5,848,232 as follows:
  • EWG (Environmental Working Group) Yes on I522 Committee $12,418
  • Farmers & Friends of Initiative 522 $40,180
  • GMO Right to Know $500 Label it WA $513,006
  • Organic Consumers Fund – Committee to Label GMOs in WA State $595,359
  • Yes on I522 Committee $4,686,769
The citizens supporting these half dozen groups don’t necessarily agree on many issues, and all support Yes on I522 for different reasons. There are 10,558 separate entries (including duplicate donors) in state and out of state, mostly small amounts. More numbers than I care to crunch tonight, but the record reflects a broad base of support from within Washington as well as outside the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment