Sunday, February 9, 2014

Claire Hope Cummings - FORCES OF NATURE

Claire Hope Cummings - FORCES OF NATURE:





Ms. Cummings, author of Uncertain Peril: Genetic Engineering and the Future of Seeds, speaks and writes about something equally important: ethical considerations about how corporations have taken ownership of the genes in our bodies and reengineered our sacred native seeds for industrial agriculture.

Transcript Excerpt;

Part of what I’d like to say is, it’s different being a woman. I was raised at a time when I was expected to maybe be a teacher, but I was not expected to be out in the world. It was tough to make that choice and to have children and then you know go to law school and then become an environmental activist and represent native people. And there was a lot of sexism, a tremendous amount. Most of the activists were kind of the young men that Dave Brower and those guys… you know, they had a different point of view.

But I as a woman had a sense that that wasn’t going to be enough, because that wasn’t what motivated me. What motivated me was my children, the understanding I had about the natural world and diversity that came from my work with native people and native women, what it meant to preserve something as important as a sense of the sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment