Saturday, January 26, 2013

My Story | GMO Free Girl

My Story | GMO Free Girl

I Love Food!

And I love knowing that I am serving my family the best possible food I can. And that means knowing what I’m buying – knowing what’s really inside the box of crackers my kids want.  I’ve become an expert at reading labels, which is not always easy with 3 kids in tow, but I’ve been doing it now for 3 years and it wasn’t always by choice.

When my son was 11 months old, he was diagnosed with a severe dairy allergy.  Not the lactose, but the proteins in the dairy – casein and whey.  I had never known that those two ingredients were actually from cows milk until our allergist told us we had to not only avoid them, but to stay away from any foods that stated “produced in a plant that processes milk ingredients.”  I thought food as I knew it was over.

Everything seemed to have dairy in it all of the sudden.  Goldfish crackers (even the pretzel ones!), packaged lunch meats, cereal bars, pretzels, frozen waffles, tortillas.  Even the bread we were eating had dairy in it!  We literally had to change the way we ate, and quickly, because my sons life depended on it.  The first thing I did was go out and get some new cookbooks.

I don’t know about you, but I need to see pictures of what I’m cooking before I cook it.  If it doesn’t look good, why bother.  So I picked up The Kind Diet.  I had no idea it was a vegan cookbook, I just really liked the pictures and everything in it looked fresh, healthy, and the recipes that had dairy used nut milks.  And since I was only eating fish anyway, and now I had to give up dairy, why not just be vegan.  I’ve always had a soft heart for cute baby animals and after reading about some of the horrible ways the animals were treated and then slaughtered, I was in. Vegan it was…and vegan it still is.

No comments:

Post a Comment